Tuesday, June 19, 2018

New Season of Letter of the Week

I tried, and failed, to start preschool with Buddyboy this year while Babycake was at school. He was vaguely interested in learning shapes and counting, would do a craft if I laid it all out for him, but really he was happy to just run rampant.

This summer however, Babycake was provided some instruction to keep her counting, reading, and writing, sharp over summer, and suddenly Buddyboy is into learning as well! I wasn't too surprised to see him sit contentedly for 10 mins crafting and singing letter songs while across the table his sister is doing her own work. Whatever she does, he has to do as well.

So While I've been having Babycake work on her words and numbers each morning with breakfast, I've had Buddyboy practicing his letter sounds and making crafts to go with each letter. It has been such a success! So far Buddyboy knows most shapes at sight, can count on his own to 20 (mixing a number here or there), and knows A is for alligator and apple, and E is for elephant without any help. As far as colors go, everything is yellow, or blue. We're watching to see if he has some color blindness.

In the end, I couldn't be more pleased with his sudden interest in specified learning. We have read every day of his life, and we discuss how things do and don't work b/c he's asking, but I've not been able to sit down with him long enough to specifically point out a 'triangle has 3 sides.' I'm pumped and hope I have the stamina to keep this up once school starts back up and I switch back working mornings instead of evenings. I'd like to at least get 3 days in of preschool-esc education in a week, but wouldn't be surprised if it becomes once or twice a week. Keep your fingers crossed for me!





No comments:

Post a Comment