Thursday, February 20, 2014

Babycake's Baby Blankets

As I stated in my last post about my love for crochet, I'm relatively new at it. I only learned after having my daughter just under two years ago. The first crochet project I attempted and completed, was a baby hat with a little brim. Too cute! Soon after I finished that venture I decided to take on a very personal project. Babycake's great grandma had a tradition of crocheting blankets for every baby in the family. Grandma had the pattern picked and the yarn ready for the blanket, she even started the blanket. However, by the time Babycake was born Grandma had been battling Parkinson's disease for 20 years and was unable to crochet.

"Made Especially For You" tag
and picture on blanket.

Because Grandma could not crochet, she made Babycake a fleece tie blanket. It is beautiful, soft, and warm. The blanket is perfect, it is large and will be able to transfer to a "big kid" bed, but has Pooh Bear and friends on it so is still young. This blanket was by far my favorite baby shower gift.


 After sharing my new found love of crochet, I was given the baby blanket pattern and yarn. The yarn was girly, but it wasn't really what I considered "baby blanket" material. So I went and got new babyish yarn and began. 

Even though the concept of making a blanket seems easier than a hat, the baby blanket was much more difficult. This would be because the pattern in the hat was simply double crochet stitches. For the blanket I had to learn how to do a shell stitch and figure out how to make the blanket's edges straight while doing that stitch. I think it took me a month and a half to finish the blanket. Like the baby hat, I did a lot of starting, undoing, and starting over. Here is the finished product:

This pattern is called Innocence. It is in Baby Wraps: 8 Crochet BlanketsThe design was created by Ginger Thomas.
A little closer view of the pattern.

Babycake loves both her blankets. She sleeps with them every night (unless they are in the wash). It warms my heart when she notices one is missing (due to needing a cleaning) and searches for it. I'm sure once summer rolls around we'll have to put the fleece blanket in the closet, but it'll come right back out in the fall!

I would love to share this pattern with you, however, I don't want to break any copy right laws. This is why I shared the title of the book in which it can be found, and the designer of the pattern. 




No comments:

Post a Comment