Monday, March 17, 2014

Bathtub Learning Fun

This last week we started "school" in this household. Now when I say school, what I really mean is that I've started planning learning themes for each week. For the next few months we'll be doing 'The Letter of the Week.' Last week we did 'Aa.' Really all we do is one craft or activity a day that features the letter, and then through out the day add a book here or there that discusses the alphabet.

So far it's been really great. We've done a craft/activity everyday. Babycake loves to learn and loves activities and crafts. For her, this isn't school, or work, or a hassle. This is a fun play time with Mommy.

Her artwork featuring the letter Aa

It wasn't until bath time tonight that I realized I'd already made an activity that I wasn't using. A while ago I was perusing Pinterest (I know. I have a problem) and I found a really fun post. A woman got foam dots at the dollar store and let her kids play with them in the bath. The foam sticks to the walls. She used the activity for the kids to focus on finding colors. I however, had been thinking about purchasing a bathtub alphabet set for Babycake to play with and decided to make my own instead!

The foam dots come in a pack of like 20. I bought two packs ($2 wohoo!), brought them home, did my best bubble letters, and cut them out. For months Babycake has been playing with the letters in the tub. I only realized this could be part of our 'Letter of the Week' lessons when she started singing the alphabet while sticking her letters to the tub wall tonight. Of course she can't pronounce half of the letters while singing, and she names them all incorrectly when looking at them, but she's having fun and soaking it all in.


It melts my heart to hear her sing the alphabet. It's strange to say that, I never thought that song would mean anything, but when she sings it I can't do a thing but smile. I am so happy she loves learning and I can feed her hungry little mind. I am one proud momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment