Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Week 4: Letter Ee & Review

This week we learned the letter Ee and its sounds. We made some elephants out of E’s and sang our letter sound song. I was really impressed with the scissors skills that went into cutting out our elephants and how precises some kiddos were when placing their ears, eyes, and tails.

To review all the letters, numbers, and shapes we've learned so far this year, we had scavenger hunts throughout the week. Letters, shapes, or numbers that we have learned were posted down the hallway. I would then hold up one of these things and each child had to find it and bring it back to it’s baggie. There were enough of each for every child to find his/her own. All the kiddos did a great job. It was rewarding to see how much they had learned already. My favorite part though, was seeing the kindness and joy in this activity when friends helped each other find the letter, number, or shape.

At this point in school we are learning how to work at different centers in the room during learning time in class. My classes divide into two or three groups and work on different things while I work at different centers with groups as they rotate. This has been a little tricky for the classes. It demands they listen to instructions when given since I won't be at every center, but also allows them freedom to figure things out on their own, or with a friend's help.

We are also starting to practice using our words with our friends before coming to the teacher with a problem. It's amazing how many times I hear my name during a half day of school. Often times when a child comes to me with a problem, it is as simple as: 

"She took my toy!" 
To which I respond "what did you say to her about it?" 
"Nothing"
"OK, why don't you go tell your friend how you feel about what happened."

Once the child does the accused typically gives back the toy and all is forgiven. The version of "he hurt me!"  is also popular in my classrooms with the same conversation happening between myself and the child telling me. Children are often so focused on their own games or tasks they have no idea they bumped into a friend or stepped on their foot. Once it's pointed out they feel very sorry for it and all is forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment